Sunday, July 28, 2013

UPOU Application: My 500-word Essay

To those who are looking at applying at UPOU, you will be required to submit a 500-word essay which answers the questions "what is your purpose in studying at UPOU and what are your plans after you graduate." Here's mine:

Getting married and having kids are some of my dreams. Well, here I am – married for eight years and with two rambunctious kids. I love every part of it. But I have another dream – finishing my Master’s degree. I want to start working on that one – soon. I kind of regret leaving my thesis undone when I decided to come to the United States.  I was working on my thesis at Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila (PLM) for Master in Industrial Psychology. It was about distance learning. Clarification – I do not regret coming to the US but I wish I had enough time to complete my thesis and actually graduate.

I decided I cannot keep on crying over spilt milk. I still have a chance to finish where I left off. I have been waiting for this opportunity to get back to school and finish my Master’s degree. I saw UPOU on the web and learned that online programs in Graduate Studies are being offered. A light switch turned on in my head – why not? So I saved my money. I now have enough money to get me through Master’s without getting into debt and also while staying home to raise my kids. I learned about Master of Distance Education through UPOU website and it sounded pretty interesting to me. I did some research and found out that I can work as an Instructional Designer (or online professor as my second choice). Instructional Design is a recently becoming popular career not only here in the US but globally as well. With my background in Human Resource Training and Development and being innately curious and interested in training and e-learning, I think this is it for me.

Currently, I am gathering reading materials and doing some advance reading on Distance Education and Instructional Design. I am also doing a self-study on web design on the side.

Learning is one of my passions. Studying at UPOU would allow me to integrate my new skills with the training and development skills I have acquired from eight years of experience in a business environment. I am looking forward to upgrading my skills, learning effective strategies in developing distance education materials, learning more about technology applications, and applying my skills to actual development of distance education materials.

Concurrently, I am eager to meet and collaborate with new classmates and professors. It has been a while since I have had a conversation with people about school and career as my discussions with friends consist of kids’ nap schedules, play dates, potty training and such. I can’t wait to start this new chapter of my life.

While attending school online, I plan on developing my portfolio and establishing a network with other professionals. This will help me get a head start at finding work opportunities after I graduate. I am looking at working as an Instructional Designer in the corporate world or the academia. If opportunity opens up for me, I would love to gain more hands on experience working online for UPOU before or after I graduate. Competition here in the US is stiff and even tougher for newly graduates. Good education and experience will give me an advantage in a very competitive job market.

No comments:

Post a Comment